While trying to play Japanese games on ScummVM for PC-98 or FM-Towns you’ll be welcomed with an Error that says:
Could not load any SJIS font, neither the original not ScummVM’s SJIS.FNT
In order top solve this you need to Generate the SJIS.FNT and put it on the ScummVM folder.
How to Generate SJIS.FNT?:
To Generate your own SJIS.FNT you first need to:
- Download ScummVM tools from daily builds.
- Extract it to a folder.
- Download a Japanese font like sazanami-mincho.ttf (Scrolldown)
- Copy sazanami-mincho.ttf to the same folder you have all the tools.
- While in that folder hold Shift and select “Open command window here”.
- Then type this command: create_sjisfnt sazanami-mincho.ttf SJIS.FNT
- Done. SJIS.FNT was generated you can copy it to ScummVM folder and play.
Where to download sazanami-mincho.ttf or SJIS.FNT ?
We offer sazanami-mincho.ttf and an already compiled SJIS.FNT ready to use for your so you don’t have to do anything more than download it and copy SJIS.FNT to the ScummVM directory.